Friday, September 26, 2008

R-O-R-net & RFID, LAN do you speak acronym?

In all fairness, I just added the structure of ether to the "net" portion just for fun?! The articles for this week's reading were remarkably accessible..so, either I am actually getting this stuff and turning into a true tech-dork OR I have reached the point where I simply must assimilate in order to keep up with the rest of the technically-driven!

I was thrilled to learn more about LAN and WAN because having heard the former term sevearl times in my paraprofessional life, I never bothered to look it up...yeah, I know! I just couldn't be bothered. Anyway, I found the information on the Ethernet particularly of interest mostly bacause I just like saying the word "ether." I liked the name of the first sort of network at the Lawrence Radiation Labs, "octopus network" (probably Red Wings fans).


The Coyle article on RFID tags was a little more problematic...not because I didn't understand it nor because it simply wasn't technical enuogh for me ( as I am all over the tech-speak now). Coyle only touched on the privacy issue which, in my opinion, carries the most baggage with it. While RFIDs will make inventory, stack maintenance and a host of other tedious activities much easier....I don't care for the idea that these tags can also incorporate personal user information. Coyle also mentioned that the kind of RFID tags that libraries require are at the "lower end" of the pricing structure. The last price I heard for bulk library purchase was $1.00 to $2.00 per tag...think academic library and 1 million volumes, then think, hmmm barcodes ain't so bad after all.

1 comment:

Justin Charles Hite said...

I completely agree with you about the price of RFID tags. I just did't think that he justified their usefullness over barcodes. It reminds me though, I worked at a Vet's office in High School, and we offered subdermal RFID tags for pets. I always wanted one in case I ever ran away and forgot how to get home. I also thought it would be great to get a tattoo of a barcode overtop of the area. I've heard that barcode tattoos work, if they are done well enough, so I wanted to get the barcode from Plato's Republic. Then if I got lost and scanned they would either know where I lived, or would find out how big of a nerd I am.