Monday, September 1, 2008

Moore's Law and transistor proliferation.

The predictions of Gordon Moore, or Moore's Law as it is now called, really hit home with me. As I was born a few years before the article was first published and because I have witnessed first hand, the evolution of computers. When I was in high school, we had punch cards for the rather large, bulky and slow IBM (which was state of the art at the time) the school purchased. I worked in my college library where we used the amber screened computers which were only text-based. Eventually, the library where I was more recently employed used web-based programs and were incredibly fast and efficient.

Given what the Wikipedia article said about transistor trends, I can only imagine how fast computers will be 5-10 years from now. The only question that I pose is at what point do we start geting info over-load? More importantly, how does this kind of speed influence the other areas in our society. I have already seen people lose patience for having to wait a few minutes for a cup of coffee. It seems to me that since we can have info at our fingertips in an instant, we want the rest of the world to work that way as well. Is this a good thing?

No comments: